Single Feudum Build (v0.6.1444)

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
vanguard
Thraxas's picture
Single Feudum Build (v0.6.1444)

World 34

Feudum Summary Card shows the overall income outgoings to feudum - useful for adjusting population alloction to get a balanced economy - is misreporting.
I had assumed this showed the resource change in the last tick. This appears not to be the case. I am consistently seeing 0 iron income (occassionally flicks to 1 with no change by me) yet every tick I see my iron stock going up by 1.
Clicking on the iron tab again shows a zero income. I had hoped this would show all income and outgoings but this shows just the overall income.

On further adjustment of population distribution I now have wood income displaying as 2 both on wood and the feudum total yet wood goes up by 4 every tick.

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
Balance

8 hexes:
plain (farm)
barren (farm)
mountain (quarry)
hill (mine)
forest
forest
swamp
Central Hex (level 3 settlement)

with this I have population allocated as follows:

Field Labour : 66
Eccleasiastical: 0
Mining : 6
Castle Duties : 0
Woodcutting : 25
Quarrying : 0
Population 120 (23 idle)

This shows my feudum overall income (not a single hex income) as:
wood: 0
stone: 1
iron: 0

My actual income is:
wood: 1
iron: 1

My biggest issue is that over a full year my food stock has gone down by 292

Mat
administrator
Mat's picture
It can be a bug, but also an

It can be a bug, but also an effect of the truncated values. We'll look into it.

Cards are truncating outputs to whole numbers. If you have only one source of something on a tile that would give you, say, 0.67 (ie. the base yield is 1 but efficiency is -33%), the cards will show 0, but your treasury is updated by the real (decimal) value where such fragments can add up from the sources.

Even this case, we'd need to show the truncated total of the decimal numbers on the feudum card (from your report it sounds we show the total of the truncated tile values, so it can add up to a bigger difference), I'll look into this.

Also... the more we're using these truncated values, the less it seems clear to anyone so we might just drop this idea and start showing the real decimals everywhere, even if it makes mental arithmetic a bit harder for players. What do you think? How much precision you would think the best?

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
I think it awkward that you

I think it awkward that you can see -1 income highlighting a problem when you actually have +1 income.
Worse the other way round.

I'm not sure how this rounding error works with +4 wood being displayed as +2 ...

I would rather have the tile showing actual values 1 tick out of date than have this rounding error meaning I cant rely on the display to determine whether I'm balanced.

I dont particularly like the idea of decimals in the display much better to round all down (or up) and set game balance accordingly.

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
Adjusted to try and balance food

I've now adjusted to as follows:

8 hexes:
plain (farm)
barren (farm)
mountain (mine)
hill (farm)
forest
forest
swamp

with this I have population allocated as follows:

Field Labour : 89
Mining : 6
Population 120 (0 idle)

This shows my feudum overall income (not a single hex income) as:
wood: 1

My actual income is:
wood: 2 (*notice that woodcutting allocation hasnt changed yet wood production has doubled)

Even with 3 farms in near full operation I'm still watching my food go down by 9 or 10 per tick (through spring and summer) though constantly reports as -11.
This is leaving me feeling fairly helpless to do anything to prevent the oncoming starvation. The only other thing I could do is reduce the population by knocking the settlement down from level 3 to 2. Hopefully I'll get a bumber harvest in autumn.

Over a full year (tick 1 spring to tick 1 spring)
with this setup I saw the following change
Wood : +125 (average +2/tick against a consistent display of +1/tick)
Stone: +80
Iron: +83
Food: -165 (over the tick this moved from base to -190 up to + 13 then back down to -165)

Food is obviously the big issue here but thats a game balance issue.
The display error is more troubling to me as it fails a tool I need to create a balanced economy.

vanguard
Mat Likes to run a really

Mat Likes to run a really tight food schedule. I'm currently upgrading my little town to level 5. Fingers crossed on that :)

Maybe it's an idea to have a world with more hexes under your control. That gives you more ways to balance out your economy. My level 5 village is going to haver workless people again. If I ever reach max pop that is.

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
Half rations

I've played around with half rations as this no longer drops population (or at least dosent with enthusiastic morale).
This however drops morale - so to compensate reduced tax, I cant find a balance this way that keeps gold income positive and morale constant. Food is however no increasing nicely.

By turning my mine to wealth I can find a balance with positive food gold and morale (7% tax half rations) This keeps my iron static.

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
Balance Achieved

I've managed to achieve equilibrium as follows:
Morale +0.00% (98%)
Population 120/120
Half Rations
Tax 7% +9

plain (farm)
barren (farm)
mountain (mine) (wealth)
hill (farm)
forest
forest
swamp

Field Labour : 70
Mining : 25
Population 120 (0 idle)

Wood: 1 (actually 1)
Stone: 1 (actually 1) *note still 25 population on woodcutting and another change in output from the above
Iron: 0 (actually 1)
Coins: 0 (actually 1)

Food appears to be growing steadily but will need to check over a year to confirm.

So it is possible to achieve positive / neutral income on all resources - took some doing though - imo current balance is too difficult to achieve.
I should note that with food population currently at 70 I could reduce to 66 freeing up 1 hex and 4 population for reallocation while maintain a stable food supply.

vanguard
Thraxas's picture
! deleted a farm a broke all

so I reduced food population from 70 to 66
all ok
so I deleted 1 farm (on a hill) of my 3 farms
everything immediately threw out of balance
still 66 pop in farming
deleting the farm removed all workers from woodcutting and reduced my coin income despite having 1 less building to maintain.

I dont now be able to get people into cutting wood by setting values manually, I pressed the revert button then tried to set manually the following tick but still failed. Seems I now cannot adjust population allocation at all.

Mat
administrator
Mat's picture
Hopefully, its covered by the

Hopefully, its covered by the latest server update (please double-check if you have some time!). There was a glitch which prevented labor plans to update correctly.

vanguard
I'm also running half rations

I'm also running half rations. Got 260 mouths to feed you know. With level 4 village I lost 5 gold per turn, with my level 5 village I loose 6 gold per turn. So maintenance increased more then my 80 new villagers can cough up. Maybe it's because 58 of them are work less bums lying in the gutter.

Does anyone know how much gold a mine yields per tick? I could go for mining gold, but I will have negative stone in return. Very tricky to move up to level 6.

vanguard
For some reason my town is

For some reason my town is not paying any maintenance any more. That really gives a positive boost. Is Mat playing Santa Clause?

Mat
administrator
Mat's picture
Santa Claus probably was a

Santa Claus probably was a caching issue. Please try to reproduce it on 1470! :)